Tuesday 3 April 2012

Asking for water and being given cold tomato: language difficulties

This year, we travelled to New England to celebrate my birthday. We don't usually do anything so grand but on my 40th last year, things went very wrong with my husband ending up in hospital. We thought we'd make up for it this year and flew to Boston on Friday.
My birthday was very pleasant and spent in Connecticut. I would have had a better time if I hadn't tried to be so British. The first drink I ordered had a lipstick mark on the glass. I told the barmaid and she changed it immediately. I then ordered red wine. It was terrible. It was enough to strip the enamel from my teeth. Did I complain? No of course not. I struggled through as I didn't want to appear rude. What's that about?
When I just couldn't take any more, I asked her for water. She thought I asked for cold tomato. Being English, I was grateful for the vitamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment