Friday 6 April 2012

New Hampshire to Maine but still missing my dog

Holidays spent in America are fantastic. Let's face it, holidays spent pretty much anywhere are usually great or else you wouldn't be visiting the destination in the first place. Americans may not appreciate their road and motorway system as much as foreigners but it's easy driving in the USA (especially for me as my husband does it all - I have the worst sense of direction). Prior to our arrival in Boston we'd only booked our first night's accommodation as finding a hotel or motel is easy. The only obstacle I face is ordering food. I break out into a cold sweat and momentary panic grips me as this is when the questions start - do you want a side with that? which of our choice of seven dressings do you want? what kind of bread? wheat? rye? soda? artisan? Please good people of America, listen to the accent. I'm English. More choice than white or brown and you blow my mind.
We've just spent three nights in North Conway, New Hampshire. What a fantastic place. We were here 13 or so years ago and don't want to leave it over a decade before we return again. Despite having a really pleasant and relaxing time, I can't wait to get home. I miss my dog.
We've left him at a very fine kennel. I have no doubt that he's being looked after very well but he likes company. In fact, he drives me crazy following me around all day, tripping me up, knocking books out of my hand when I'm reading, trying to get all 40 kilos of himself on my lap when I'm writing. Still, I can't wait to get home to him.
By the time I've unpacked and fallen over him a dozen times, I may have changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment