Tuesday 27 March 2012

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

Despite my dog chewing through the first few pages of The End of Everything when it arrived in the post, I was able to read the book in only a few days. It's one of those books that I really enjoyed but would be reluctant to give it a blanket recommendation to everyone I know. The reason? It was quite disturbing.
I'm giving little away here by telling you that the story centres on two young girls, best friends and next-door neighbours, getting on with their childhood until one of them goes missing. The majority of the book follows Lizzie in her quest to locate her friend.
Some of it I found unpalatable, but nevertheless, I finished the book last week and am still finding my mind wandering back to it. That I'm still pondering it, means I'll probably never forget it. In all honesty, some of it, I'd prefer to forget. The book isn't graphic or lewd just unsettling in parts.
Overall, I loved it and found it a great read. I'll be reading other books by Megan Abbott but getting to the mail ahead of the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment