Wednesday 21 March 2012

Blood and tears

Many years ago, I regularly gave blood. I got into the habit of doing it every few months, despite almost fainting every time. For some reason, I stopped going. I suppose I struggled to find the time. My recovery time was often hours. I am quite the coward. Did I mention bruising like a peach?
A couple of weeks ago, overhearing a colleague's conversation, I heard her book an appointment over the phone to attend a mobile blood unit. I thought to myself, why not? I reached for the phone and did the same, without giving myself time to think.
Know what? It really wasn't that bad. Even the part where the nurse tests your blood before you donate by pricking your finger. I recalled that as a feeling of total agony. I hardly felt a thing.
Laying on the bed a few minutes later, I tried to calm myself before another nurse came to do the deed. It didn't hurt, I didn't faint, I didn't even cry.
I got crisps and so I'm told, next time, I get a key ring.
Only 4% of the country donate blood. Free crisps and a key ring. What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment