Monday 24 February 2014

The President's Wife is a Cheeseboard

My hearing has always been good. Granted, I am often lost deep in thought and conversations take place around me with little notice on my part. When I am paying attention, I am all ears. Therefore, it surprises me when I frequently mishear the odd word. The situation has everything to do with the quality of listening, and not only the acoustics. The setting prepares you for the type of conversation you're likely to have or witness going on around you. Sometimes, you're just not prepared for what you're about to hear, largely because it's so out of context.
Visit any city or large town in Western Europe or the US (I can't comment on the rest of the world as my travel to these places is limited) and the chances are that a coffee shop, bar or restaurant may well be staffed by those from overseas. This is never an issue when there isn't much background noise, the waiter/server doesn't have a strong accent and I'm sober. A combination of all three is bound to end in confusion.
A very pleasant dinner in a New York restaurant was topped off by the waiter asking if myself or my husband would like a dessert. It's true that we had consumed a few drinks, it was busy and I don't think the waiter was a local either, but in answer to our boozy nods, he informed us that, "The President's wife is a cheeseboard."
I still have no idea what we ordered.


2 comments:

  1. Charlotte Slater12 March 2014 at 16:51

    Loving the Audiobook! Listening at the moment on my way to and from work and during my running training. Looking forward to a lovely long series of Nina. She sounds just up my street. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Charlotte,
      Thanks so much for letting me know. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.
      Your comment is the second lovely one I've had today about Nina.
      Kindest regards
      Lisa

      Delete