Friday 6 July 2012

Saving the planet one overpriced carrier bag at a time

Anyone else get fed up with supermarkets and food departments within larger stores charging for their plastic carrier bags?
Shopping used to be something I really enjoyed but I tend to put it in the 'too much hassle' category these days. I get fed up stopping to look at something on a shelf or clothing rack only to find someone coming from seemingly out of nowhere to push in front of me to examine the article I had paused to peruse.  Perhaps I'm being too kind when I say that these people probably aren't consciously thinking about tearing the item from my hand but they can't help themselves when they see something someone else has. It's how advertising works after all.
The best thing about people's predictability is that causing a distraction further along the aisle is just too easy by announcing, "Wow, this stuff's all 80 per cent off." Bound to cause a stampede so you can return to looking at the items you wanted to look at in the first place. It's a given that you feel a bit of a fool if you're shopping alone but it works a treat.
Oh yeah - the carrier bags - there was a point. How is it that in the same shop, I can buy a £2 pair of socks and get a free bag but if I spent £20 on wine and lasagne, I have to pay 5 pence?
I'm all for saving the planet and minimising waste but two things come to mind here: watching Springwatch, I saw that landfill sites were now a haven for wildlife and they can't be built upon because they're landfill sites. Result all round I say.
Secondly, if these stores were so bothered, wouldn't they turn the lights off and give you a pair of night vision goggles as you went through the door?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Bernardina. Sorry it's taken so long to reply too. Bit behind here on many things. Glad you enjoyed it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you back and another great article! We love to see the evolution and always interchanging world of web design. looking forward to things to come. Cheers!
    .
    .

    Handyman Services in London

    ReplyDelete